POSITION: Director of Economic Development
ORGANIZATION: Highlands Economic Partnership [under umbrella of] Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce
PAY: Commensurate with experience.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITES: The Director of Economic Development works to develop and execute the overall mission of the Highlands Economic Partnership which includes advancing the economic wellbeing of partner counties through the creation of high-wage jobs in target employment sectors. The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee all aspects of the workforce development and education program of work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Execute Business Retention & Expansion programs of the Highlands Economic Partnership by developing strong relationships with existing employers throughout the Highlands Partnership area and assisting in their growth and development.
2) Develop and lead initiatives to market economic development assets to targeted industries with an emphasis on the recruitment of companies in growing market sectors that align with our workforce development programs.
3) Support the identification and development of sites and buildings that are suitable locations for employers seeking to create or retain jobs in the HEP area.
4) Work directly with the Director of Workforce Development & Education and external economic development partners to market the regional workforce to prospective and existing businesses seeking to create jobs.
5) Serve as administrative staff of the Industrial Development Board of the City of Cookeville and support the Industrial Boards throughout the HEP area.
6) Serve as a liaison with local, regional, and national economic development organizations including but not limited to… TN Department of Economic and Community Development, Tennessee Valley Authority, Middle TN Industrial Development Authority, Tennessee Economic Partnership, Tennessee Economic Development Council, & the International Economic Development Council.
7) Work directly with all stakeholder groups who play a critical role in the accomplishment of program of work goals. This includes, but is not limited to, employers, local school districts, higher education partners, and local, regional, and state agencies.
8) Maintain budget oversight for all expenses associated with each of the programs and ensure that proper documentation and timely reporting for expenses and/or grant compliance is achieved.
9) Prepare and communicate program of work progress reports to the Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, Highlands Economic Partnership Steering Committee, and other stakeholder groups as needed.
10) Oversee the administration of the Workforce Development & Education and Community Development Programs of Work through management of designated staff.
11) Develop metrics to measure program outcomes and effectiveness.
12) Provide support to organization-wide programs and initiatives and assist with additional duties on an as-needed basis.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Economics, Political Science, Marketing, or a related area
· 3-5 years of experience in Economic Development or a related field
· Impactful leadership skills
· Strong program management experience
· Effective listening skills
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
· Exhibits a strong orientation toward customer service
· Flexible, self-starter with ability to manage time, organize, and prioritize tasks
· Attention to detail and ability to multitask
· Builds and maintains good working relationships and displays a positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills when interacting with diverse partners and department staff
· Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, One Drive)
· Willingness to learn new skills and apply them to work tasks
· Business Development/Sales experience
· Community Planning
· Grant writing experience
· Graphic design knowledge (Canva, Adobe Suite, etc.)
· iWork Suite experience (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers)
· Social media content management
ITEMS NEEDED IN APPLICATION
· Cover Letter
· List of three references with contact information
Accepting applications until position is filled.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Vice President, Operations
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Highlands Economic Partnership, under the umbrella of the Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce, is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other criteria protected by local, state, or federal law.