Director of Workforce Development and Education
Highlands Economic Partnership [under umbrella of] Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce
1 West 1st Street Cookeville, TN 38501
Vice President, Economic Development
REPORTS TO INCUMBENT
Workforce Development and Education Liaisons (x2)
Monday – Friday, 8AM – 5PM
Occasional early mornings and nights.
Commensurate with experience.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITES
The Director of Workforce Development and Education works to support the overall mission of the Highlands Economic Partnership which includes advocating for quality education and training programs that develop a skilled workforce to meet the needs of employers and advance the economic wellbeing of partner counties. The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee all aspects of the workforce development and education program of work. Duties include:
• Work directly with the VP of Economic Development and external economic development partners to market the regional workforce to prospective and existing businesses seeking to create jobs.
• Work directly with all stakeholder groups who play a critical role in the accomplishment of program of work goals. This includes, but is not limited to, employers, local school districts, higher education partners, and local, regional, and state agencies.
• Maintain budget oversight for all expenses associated with each of the programs and ensure that proper documentation and timely reporting for expenses and/or grant compliance is achieved.
• Prepare and communicate program of work progress reports to the Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, Highlands Economic Partnership Steering Committee, Workforce Development and Education Steering Committee, and other stakeholder groups as needed.
• Coordinate short-term career exploration and training programs for P-12 students across diverse industry sectors including but not limited to manufacturing, healthcare, information technology, education, and construction. (Program Examples: Highlands Pathways, Paid Internship Program, 8th Grade Career Fair, Speakers Program, Student Job Fair)
• Coordinate programs aimed at developing and retaining diverse talent in the region. Programs include but are not limited to an annual Counselor Summit, YP Highlands (young professionals’ program), Highlands Leaders (leadership development program), and Family Engagement sessions.
• Provide technical support to employers and education institutions as they work to expand work-based learning opportunities for students.
• Support partners at the American Job Center and Upper Cumberland Local Workforce Development Board in connecting employers to WIOA resources (i.e., training grants, youth and adult education programs, veteran resources, etc.)
• Oversee and support WFD&E Liaison positions as they work to accomplish defined goals.
• Develop metrics to measure program outcomes and effectiveness.
• Provide support to organization-wide programs and initiatives and assist with additional duties on an as-needed basis.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Education, Social Work, Basic Business/Economics, or a related area
• 5+ years of experience in Economic Development, Workforce Development, or a related field
• Impactful leadership skills
• Strong program management experience
• Effective listening skills
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• Exhibits a strong orientation toward customer service
• Flexible, self-starter with ability to manage time, organize, and prioritize tasks
• Attention to detail and ability to multitask
• Builds and maintains good working relationships and displays a positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills when interacting with diverse partners and department staff
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, One Drive)
• Willingness to learn new skills and apply them to work tasks
• Grant writing experience
• Graphic design knowledge (Canva, Adobe Suite, etc.)
• iWork Suite experience (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers)
• Social media content management
ITEMS NEEDED IN APPLICATION
• Cover Letter
• List of three references with contact information
Accepting applications until position is filled.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Vice President, Operations
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Highlands Economic Partnership, under the umbrella of the Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce, is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other criteria protected by local, state, or federal law.